Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Past Vanishes

I am currently reading Wayne Dyer's "Your Sacred Self". I like him; his writings dovetail nicely with both the Law of Attraction and the philosophies of magick and Wicca. The first thing that has caught my attention is the concept of leaving behind your personal history.

To quote from page 4o: "Having a personal history keeps us from now. This is a radical idea perhaps, but I am asking you to consider the possibility of totally eradicating your personal history from your consciousness and simply living completely in the present moment." Mr. Dyer then goes on to say that this does not mean completely wiping your memories clean from your mind; instead decide to not be a product of your past and leave behind those stories that take us away from listening to our Inner Source. Those stories are the things that distract us, misguide us and waste energy and time.

Can I do this? I believe I can. You see, I have played the blame game. I have claimed the victim role. And it got me nowhere. For many years I have striven to find enlightenment and getting mired in my past slowed me down considerably. It was in my early thirties when I began to realize that I had to grow up and claim responsibility for my actions as an adult. By just this one decision, the past began to lose its potency, its power.

By achieving this I can focus on the present, the here, the now. That is all that exists. Now all possibilities are open to me, the Creator of my world.

The next step I have made is to make peace with that past. Now that it does not have that hold on me, those past stories have lost their bite and I can start to generate sympathy towards myself and those who are players in the stories of the past. Generating sympathy for myself has proven to be a very big opportunity for me; by opening that door it has shown me all that can be achieved, all that I can feel and experience. It must be done. Creation is at a standstill until I forgive myself.

The past now appears like an image in my rear view mirror, becoming smaller and eventually fading away.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maryann...
    I am loving your blog!

    I am a big fan of Wayne Dyer - I have read his books for years & years. He is also great to listen to on audio - as he has the most soothing voice and tells great stories! ;-)

    Have a Wonder-Filled Day!
    Hugs,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete