Saturday, August 15, 2009

Re-writing the Story

As you may or may not know, I have a fuller figure. I have had this natural abundance since I was around 7 or 8 years old. It has not been easy growing up in this day and age being a larger-sized person. People can be brutal and I have not always handled it well. I have tried diets. Maybe not all of them, but I've done my share. I have started numerous exercise programs and have joined a few gyms. Success in terms of weight loss was elusive, programs abandoned, memberships canceled. Either the program was more difficult than I could do or I got bored or injured. Most of the regimens I have done have lead to weight loss of about 7 lbs., regardless of how hard I tried. All of it was very discouraging.

In the past few years I have stopped trying to formulate a specific program. Not living up to the expectations I set up for myself on these programs turned out to be far worse than being and staying fat. It gives ample opportunity to get the ol' fish knife out and gut myself from stern to stem.

What to do? Well, I have to write a new story! That is my new assignment. In order to change the old dialogue running through my head, I instead write down what I want to achieve as though I already have. Writing in the present tense juices up the intentions, increasing the positive vibrations emitted to the Universe, which in turn provides opportunities to help me create the life I am envisioning.

I need to be specific and to stretch it as far as I am comfortable. "I feel good about myself every day" is something I can get my teeth into; "I am at the weight I am most comfortable at" is more than I can believe at this time. As I write I am to check with myself that these statements feel right. If they don't, they are not used. They do not become part of the story.

According to Ellie, there are 4 questions* to ask my self. The answers need to be short and clear. First I am to envision what I desire and see myself living it; then I ask different questions about what is success and to list it. All answers have a 3 different examples.

I have not started this yet; looking over the directions it looks like mental exercise, stretching out areas hardly used, pumping blood and revitalizing parts that have not yet learned their potential. This appears to be a simple exercise; however I have fooled myself before with that thinking. I am curious as to what is going to emerge from this.

Sometimes re-writing the story takes a little creativity and serious imagination. That I think I have; I just wonder if I will reach high enough or will I settle for safety.



*these questions are from Ellie Walsh's booklet, Tell a New Story, Change Your Life Part 2. Thanks Ell for your support so far!

2 comments:

  1. I always tell my students that revision is where the real story lies. We're handed a lot of stories that we just accept, to our detriment usually. Glad to see you're revising yours with conscious attention.

    You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate. It amazes me what is sitting there within me - the crazy crap I have picked up, believed and accepted over the years. Crazy I tell you, crazy!!

    ReplyDelete