Wednesday, August 12, 2009

School Daze

Ok, so have been talking about Appreciation Lists. How they are starting to subtly change my outlook and my world. As I was writing up yesterday's list my Jr. High music teacher, Mrs. Robare, popped up in my head. This woman is a pip! She is dynamic, funny, loud and brassy. All big hair, flowing dresses with high-heeled boots and 18 coats of mascara (no exaggeration, we asked!). She taught chorus and whether it was a class, a choir practice or a concert, she was standing at her piano, Jerry Lee Lewis-style, pounding on the keys, yelling and smiling like a crazy woman. She was the most amazing teacher.

The thing that struck me the most was that she CARED. She had command of any room she entered, she took no guff and she loved each and every one of us. Of course, she did not hold back when we were driving her nuts, but you knew she was in the right profession.

She picked great music too. She had a select choir, Swing Group, that you had to audition for. We even used "It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't Got That Swing)" as a our theme song. She fostered an appreciation for melody, rhythm and form like no other music teacher (except for perhaps B, my High School band teacher - MAYBE). Being around you made you want to stand up straighter, look your best and SMILE!

I posted something about my appreciation for her on my Facebook update and I think that was the most popular update I have ever written (which, in reality, isn't saying too much since I don't write too many). Both former classmates and friends chimed in and it was so nice to initiate a bright little spot of good feeling in the world. Even better, one of my former classmates somehow knows one of her relatives and will pass on my comments to her. I really hope they make her smile. Compared to all the smiles she has given me, it is the least I can do.

1 comment: