Monday, October 19, 2009

Believing vs Knowing

I'm still reading Mr. Dyer and have come across the section where he talks about distinguishing between believing and knowing. Believing is quite often based on some other person's dictums, while knowing comes from within our being, our gut. The source of the former does not have any organic connection that the latter possesses which begs the question: Why do we allow it to guide us in this life?

To me, beliefs are pretty sneaky things that plant themselves in our psyche.

I have asked my self what Beliefs do I hold and whether they are true. Among these beliefs are that I have a weight problem because I’m lazy, that I’m not very smart, that I missed my “time” to succeed in life and that I am bad with money.

Are any of these sweeping pronouncements the truth? I would say no; it is crap told to me at some point that I chose to believe. I can’t recall exact moments when these beliefs were planted; there was no fanfare, no fireworks. They just slunk in, shoulders hunched, slipping in with the shadows. They met up with my Internal Critic and they blossomed. As they took root, they quietly became part of the fabric of my life. They just “were”.

What is “Knowing”? I spell it with a capitol “K” because I am coming to believe that Knowing is connected to our Inner Voice. It is when we quiet down and listen to this Voice that we create the path to Knowing. The conflict occurs when the Knowings come in contact with the Beliefs.

According to the Law of Attraction, we use our emotions as an inner guide to achieve what we want (and really, what we need) in this life. When we have that everything-is-alright-in-the-world feeling, we are matching the vibration of our Inner Voice. When we feel otherwise (sad, scared, confused) we are not. I have come to find that there are these little skirmishes occurring within when I seek to follow my inner guide.

Beliefs don’t like it when we don’t believe in them anymore. They do put up a fight when we choose to listen within and not to them. Why is this? I am unsure about this. I wonder if it is a part of us that seeks to “protect” us from things that are unknown. At some point, those beliefs served a role in our lives. Good or bad, they did. Quite often, they outlive their purpose.

My beliefs are kicking up a fuss a good deal lately. I am holding on, though. I had a dream last night that has really given me a boost. My dream has other components that I can’t remember, but at the culmination I was hugging a seal with such love and I remember feeling such comfort. I looked up the meaning and it I found the Seal, as an animal spirit guide, means listening to the inner voice! How cool is that???

2 comments:

  1. You said "How cool is that???" - I say "That is Excellent Cool!!"

    Beliefs are just thoughts that we have thought over and over again ... They become so rooted that many times we aren't even aware of them. They become the dominant habit of thinking...

    The good news is - we can change those beliefs just by thinking new thoughts over and over again! :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Big Hugs,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. You seem to be describing Knowing as a stronger type of belief. Do I have that right? I am also a bit of a Wayne Dyer fan, he is outstanding. There is another guy who wrote about the power of Knowing. He is called Neville Goddard, and lived in the early twentieth century. One of his quotes was "Assumption hardens into Fact". Reading your blog posts, I think you might find him interesting.
    Best Wishes for 2012. Toby, Law of Attraction Books

    ReplyDelete